Friendships are something that I really treasure a lot. It’s one of these gifts that come close to family and for everyone who know me – I’m big on families. I’ve always had hard times finding friends and really keeping that friendship alive. My mum always told me that friends come and go and I never wanted to believe that. But sadly, in real life that’s what just happens. However, God has really blessed me with the most inspiring people who I am proud to call my closest friends. Given the task, though, out of all my friendships one really has proven to be true over the past years. I am blessed to have this person in my life because she keeps me grounded and makes me think twice about my decisions. Also, she somehow knows me better I sometimes know myself, which is rather scary but also reassuring in times when I’m just lost and don’t even know myself. We’ve gone through heartaches, seasons of confusion and hopelessness and times of desperation. Although we haven’t gone through them at the same time, I could always count on her great advice and prayers. I’ve always honored her for her compassion and her love for other people. The way she always seems to be great with them and always tries to understand them. Or the way she never forgets about the people who are more in the background and always tries to involve them in everything. She’s one of the few people that cheers me on when it comes to my goals and most especially my dreams. What a safe feeling to know that I have her back in whatever I do.
I am so proud to have great friends around me that have different yet great and inspiring qualities. I’ve once read about the qualities in her circle of friends that are so important for the author. I would really like to share this with you because it’s important to know your company:
- Integrity – they have to be people of their word.
- Loyalty – they have my back no matter what.
- Honesty – when necessary, they can put me in my place and tell me not what I want to hear, but what I need to hear.
- My biggest fan – they are interested in my goals, large and small, and cheer me on even when the odds are stacked against me.
- Forgiveness – I have to trust that not if but when I mess up, they are willing to accept my mistakes and apologies.
- Humility – they have to recognise we’re all in this together and no one is more important than another and everyone deserves to be seen and heard.
- Passion – they are searching for or have found something they love and lead a life filled with purpose, inspiring me to do the same.
- Sense of humor – they don’t take life so seriously, and find humor even in dark times.
- Authentic confidence – they believe in themselves and have the courage to speak their truth, granting me permission to do the same.
- Selflessness – they are willing to fight for things bigger than themselves.
Jones, Alexis (2014). I Am That Girl. p.125
With that I hope you find these qualities in your closest friends because for my part, I do find these in them. I am proud of each and every friend I have and I cherish them all.